Spousal – married – and life partner visas, although grouped together, are different applications but the criteria remain very much the same.
For same-sex couples the rules and regulations do not differ from a heterosexual couple.
Common traits of the spousal and life partner visas
- The spousal and life partner visas can both be applied for between 2 and 3 years.
- Both relationships must be monogamous and permanent.
- Proof of the relationship is required (please note that life partner proof is more complex).
- Permanent residency can be applied for providing the relationship can be proven for 5 years.
- In both cases the foreign partner does not require a work visa to commence work but an endorsement. See here for more information on work endorsements.
- In both cases where the foreign partner wishes to set up a business, a business visa is not required but an endorsement is. See here for more information on business endorsements.
- If the foreign partners wish to study, a study permit is not required but an endorsement is. See here for information on study endorsements.
Contact us today for a free consultation.